First, let me extend a hearty Thank You to Eve Messenger of Eve Messenger’s OtherWORDly Endeavors for nominating me for the Blogger Recognition Award. You are too kind and I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed my blog so far. If you enjoy YA lit, fantasy, or just plain great quirky humor, definitely check out Eve’s blog.
Blogger Recognition Award Rules
- Tell the world why you started blogging
- Give advice/tips to new bloggers
- Share the picture above
- Nominate other blogs and let them know how awesome you think they are.
- Share the link to Edge of Night for the original post.
Why I Blog
I started blogging mainly to help get myself through unfocused moments or times of writer’s block/avoidance during the week. I’ve also come to love blogging, however, for the ways it helps me connect with a larger community of writers and artists. I love the solitude and escape that my profession lends me day after day, but it is also a joy to get to meet and talk with other artists, learn from them, be inspired by them, and so forth.
Advice/Tips to New Bloggers
First, I completely agree with Eve’s No. 1 piece of advice: “Read lots of other people’s blogs and be brave about leaving comments, even if they seem lame.” Leaving comments is not only a great way to better connect with others in the blogging world, but also to boost up someone else. No matter how short or simple the comment, for me, seeing that someone else took the time to leave a comment on my blog–took the time to actually read and consider my post–always, always brightens my day. It’s happened more than once that a friendly comment on my blog has helped lift me up after I’ve received a rejection letter from a literary magazine or made me feel more confident about returning to a short story that’s been giving me a hard time.
Above all, be a generous reader! Be the reader that Writer You wants to have. And be a generous writer–be gracious, thoughtful, and sincere.
Alright, and onward to the main event: K.C.’s Blogger Recognition Award winners:
- Musings on a Literary Journey – I am a big fan of author Nicole Dennis-Benn. Not only is she just a fascinating person in her own right, but her fiction is terrific as well. (She’s had more than one story nominated for a Pushcart Prize.) Definitely give her blog and other work a look! (Then maybe another look ;-))
- Nights of Passion – While I’m really not much of a romance reader at all, I find I often love the voices, updates, and thoughts provided here by the writing team of Nights of Passion
- Dirt Artful – I know what you’re going to say. Hey, you can’t just recommend a blog because of all its cute guinea pig photos! But I’m here to tell you that Yes, oh yes, I can. But I like Dirt Artful for many reasons beyond her awesome guinea pigs. A scientist, an artist, a Guinea Pig Ranger — this is a blog for everyone who wants a glimpse into an adventurous, fascinating life.