Well, everybody, it’s that magical time again — time to start preparing for this year’s NaNoWriMo. And, to get the ball rolling, here are a few choice sites offering some great writing tips, advice, and pep talks:
– Colin Nissan’s The Ultimate Guide to Writing Better Than You Normally Do from McSweeney’s
– Writer Holly Lisle’s Creating Conflict
– Michael C. Munger’s 10 Tips on How to Write Less Badly (for academics mainly though its got some good basic advice for all nonfiction writers generally) from The Chronicle of Higher Education
– How to Write a Novel, Chuck Sambuchino, Writer’s Digest
– Mother Jones’ Asawin Suebsaeng, “The Most Important Writing Tip the Late Elmore Leonard Ever Gave”
– The Atlantic’s Maria Popova’s “‘Nothing Any Good Isn’t Hard’: F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Secret to Great Writing”
– The Guardian’s “Ten rules for writing fiction”
– “How to Write a Novel” from Creative Writing Now
– And, of course, DEAR SUGAR’s classic, Write Like a Motherfucker, from The Rumpus
My advice? Find a comfortable spot, and get to work!
I hope you find these helpful and inspirational! I’ll be posting more on writing tips, NaNoWriMo updates, and related topics throughout the rest of this month, October, and through November.
Best of luck!